The beast -- IT runs... 
So last night I riged up a PCV valve, hooked up the carb linkage and the rest of the ignition system (coil, balast resistor etc).. and started her up...
-- Right off the bat I was worried the the "economizer" or Power valve was bad. I was lucky enough to have one that was not rebuildable and it was flooding like mad...
after some tinkering I noticed that I was getting fuel coming into the carb at the copper seal between the float valve and the carb body.. DOH.. so I crank down on it to tighten it but it was still letting fuel through.. So I decided to remove the seal and see what it would do.. and that did the trick (stupid seal)..
Put it all back together and crank it over again... Backfire... Hmm this is better but the timing must be off.. 5 minutes of dinking around with the timing finaly getting it set at 0 BTDC and it starts right up.. 15 more minutes dinking with idle speed, Dwell, timing and fuel mixture...
For a 40 year old engine this thing is now running SMOOOTH!
I took it for a drive around the block (it was getting dark so I had a few people flashing their headlights at me but I don't have the headlights hooked up so I just enjoyed the streetlights
) Anyhow it drove around rather nicely.. other than slipping out of second gear a couple times!! good thing the next item on the list it a tranny and T case rebuild... (well replace gaskets and anything else that needs help while I am in there
)
So last night I riged up a PCV valve, hooked up the carb linkage and the rest of the ignition system (coil, balast resistor etc).. and started her up...
-- Right off the bat I was worried the the "economizer" or Power valve was bad. I was lucky enough to have one that was not rebuildable and it was flooding like mad...
Put it all back together and crank it over again... Backfire... Hmm this is better but the timing must be off.. 5 minutes of dinking around with the timing finaly getting it set at 0 BTDC and it starts right up.. 15 more minutes dinking with idle speed, Dwell, timing and fuel mixture...
For a 40 year old engine this thing is now running SMOOOTH!
I took it for a drive around the block (it was getting dark so I had a few people flashing their headlights at me but I don't have the headlights hooked up so I just enjoyed the streetlights
0 comments:
Post a Comment